MPs are set to discuss banning the use of liquid nitrogen in drinks following the hospitalisation of an 18-year-old who consumed the cryogenic fluid in a cocktail.
The adjournment debate has been tabled by David Morris, the MP for Morecambe and Lunesdale in Lancashire, the constituency in which Gaby Scanlon drank ‘smoking’ shots of Jagermeister.
The teenager almost died after consuming the liquid nitrogen cocktail at Oscars wine bar in Lancaster. Scalon said that she felt excruciating pain the moment she drank the shot, which burned a hole in her stomach. She now faces the prospect of having vitamin supplements and liquid replacement meals for the rest of her life.
Having written to Prime Minister David Cameron, health secretary Jeremy Hunt and the Food Standards Agency (FSA), to urge them to ban the sale of drinks containing liquid nitrogen, Morris will lead a debate on the subject in Parliament on 30 November.
Since the event the FSA has issued a warning on the dangers of using liquid nitrogen in drinks, while investigations by Lancaster City Council are ongoing.
By James Stagg
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Catererandhotelkeeper.com jobs
Blogs on Catererandhotelkeeper.com
Catch up with more news and gossip on all Caterer's blogs
For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our E-newsletters