An opportunity has arisen to buy an historic country house hotel in East Sussex for £4m by share transfer.
Beauport Park hotel is a three-star Georgian property set in 38 acres of grounds that lies three miles from both the coastal resort of Hastings and the historic town of Battle.
It was built in 1719 for General Sir James Murray, once the Governor-General of Canada, who named it after his summer residence in the province of Quebec.
Accommodation includes 25 en-suite bedrooms and the Forest Lodge, which offers two bedrooms, a sitting room, a bathroom, a sauna and a veranda.
The hotel provides a residents’ lounge, a bar lounge and a 60-seat fine dining restaurant and conservatory brasserie.
Conference and meeting rooms include the Quebec Room (which can hold 36 delegates boardroom-style) and the Garden Room that can take 70 people theatre-style. Another 120 guests can be accommodated in the wedding marquee that is erected on the front lawn in the summer.
The gardens include croquet and putting lawns, an all-weather tennis court, an outdoor heated swimming pool, and a nine-hole pitch and putt golf course.
Guests also have complimentary use of the new Bannatynes Health and Fitness Club that opened in 2005 on land previously owned by the hotel, which also adjoins an 18-hole golf course and riding stables.
The year-round business achieved a turnover of £1.25m in the year to January 2006, which is forecast to rise to £1.3m in the current financial year.
The Maidstone office of Christie + Co is handling the sale of the hotel’s freehold on behalf of Ken Melsom and Stephen Bayes who have owned the property since 1983.
By Angela Frewin
Featured video - for more, visit Caterer and Hotelkeeper’s YouTube channel >>