What does this job involve?
- Taking responsibility for the team of porters, including organising the staff rota
- Duties often overlap with those of a concierge
- Carrying luggage, storing luggage and dealing with lost property
- Arranging transport for guests
- Advising guests on directions and recommend places to visit.
- Can involve an element of security – a good head porter will keep aware of who is going in and out of the building. You may also be responsible for the security of room keys.
- If you are working at night, your duties may involve looking after new arrivals
What skills and attributes do I need?
- Physical fitness is a necessity as you will be regularly carrying heavy loads.
- You need to be well-presented and be friendly and helpful.
- Extensive knowledge about the area you work in is very useful.
How can I get this job?
A head porter will have a lot of experience as a porter.
Featured video - for more, visit Caterer and Hotelkeeper’s YouTube channel >>