Johansens accolade for Glasgow's One Devonshire
Monday 29th November 2004 18:45
Glasgow's One Devonshire Gardens scooped the Most Excellent City Hotel award in the 2005 Cond‚ Nast Johansens hotel awards.
The award for the Most Excellent London Hotel went to 51 Buckingham Gate. Other winners included Ford Abbey, Pudleston, Herefordshire, for Most Excellent Country House Hotel, and Cotswold House, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire, for Most Excellent Country Hotel.
The White House on Herm in the Channel Islands scooped the Most Excellent Coastal Hotel award and was described by the judges as "paradise", despite lacking enough electricity for in-room TVs and kettles.
The Lake Country House Hotel in Llangammarch Wells, Powys, was judged to have the Most Excellent Restaurant.
A special one-off award commemorating Julie Dunkley, who died in March after working for the publishers as a hotel inspector for seven years, went to Belinda Maloney, front office manager at Knock Ranny House Hotel and Spa in County Mayo, Ireland. The award was for an outstanding individual whose commitment to standards contributed to the success of a hotel.
Other UK winners
- Most excellent traditional inn: the Falcon hotel, Castle Ashby, Northamptonshire
- Most excellent service: East Lodge Country House Hotel, Rowsley, Derbyshire
- Most excellent spa: Whatley Manor, Malmesbury, Wiltshire
- Knight Frank award for excellence and innovation: the Goodman family, owners of Bailiffscourt hotel, Climping, West Sussex
- Taittinger wine list award: Devonshire Arms Country Hotel, Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire