1. A diet of the Greek gods and a can of rice would be a good clue to this fruit salad dish, a favourite on American menus over the festive period. What is its name?
2. On Christmas Eve in Denmark a dish of risengr¿d is put out for the hobgoblins. It is also served at Christmas dinner. What replaces our prize silver threepenny bit in this pudding?
3. In the Caribbean, barbecuing a whole stuffed animal is a popular Christmas feast. While the cooking is the same, each island will have its own favourite stuffing. What is the animal?
4. Vassilopitta is a Greek New Year cake. It is cut traditionally on New Year's Eve on returning home from church. The first slice is cut for Christ. How is the second slice designated?
5. Jugs of cold sangria are almost obligatory at summer parties. What is the name given to a mulled winter drink meaning glowing wine?
6. In Poland, oplatek plays an important part in prayers that are traditionally said. Is it (a) fish, (b) wine or (c) bread?
7. The Scottish and the traditional Northern English plum-pudding recipes are almost identical, but the English version originally contained vegetables. Carrot was one option - what was the other?
8. Almond macaroons, amaretti, are a speciality of Salsomaggiore in the Italian province of Parma. Different nuts are used for the Christmas sweet, pinoccate, of Perugia. Which are they?
9. Not everyone in the Caribbean has the facility for a big spit roast, so in Guadeloupe and Martinique the same meat is used for a colombo. Is this (a) curry, (b) pot roast or (c) pie?
10. Kapr na cerno, carp in black sauce, is a traditional Czechoslovakian Christmas Eve dish. When buying the fish, what level of freshness is considered essential?
11. Fishing for an answer here... the Italians of Anacapri have a special store of ink, preserved until Christmas Eve. What is the main item concerned in this tradition?
12. The main festive Mexican meal is at midnight on Christmas Eve. What type of dish is traditionally served with the turkey? (a) guacamole, (b) salad or (c) cactus eggs
13. Christmas is very much a family time, New Year's Eve is party time. Why is it unlikely that members of the grouse family will be hanging around for either?
14. Turkey stuffed with chestnut stuffing is a popular festive roast. Before killing the bird is it traditional to (a) get it drunk on brandy, (b) keep it in solitary confinement, or (c) pray for it?
l Answers to the quiz may be found on page 65