1. Natural decay is caused through loss of moisture and enzyme action, which includes oxidation, browning and ripening.
2. Sweet basil has larger leaves and a stronger flavour. The Greek variety grows on smaller, 7in bushes.
3. The ears of the animal are used. They are stuffed with sausage meat and then poached.
4. Eggs fulfil all these roles. Where the mixtures are creamed, the eggs should be added at room temperature to prevent curdling.
5. Flour, baking powder, butter, caster sugar, mixed peel, eggs and water make up the ingredients, along with caraway seeds.
6. This would require a small cube of about half an inch.
7. (a) Demi-glace is espagnole plus brown stock and is also the base for other sauces, including bordelaise, Madeira and poivrade.
8. This is an Indian dish which is also served with a variety of sweet dishes.
9. (c) This is a QbA standard which requires the wine to be produced from a single type of black grape.
10. Sigara bîregi is a dish made from filo pastry, containing a variety of fillings and rolled in a similar manner to a cigar. It is normally served as a starter.
11. Vitamin D is found in only a few foods. The main source is sunlight on the skin.
12. Pommes brioche are made with a basic duchesse mixture and moulded into a small loaf shapes. They are egg-washed and browned in the oven.
13. (b) Sour mash is the name used to describe a type of bourbon, American whiskey.
14. All food labelling comes under the control of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF) and the European Union (EU).
15. Vanilla, strawberry and almond flavours are layered to create this Neapolitan blancmange.