1. A side of bacon comprises five joints of which back and gammon are two. What are the other three, and what are the main ways in which they are cooked?
2. Lamb is classified as an animal less than one year old although even a month's difference in age produces variations in the end product. What are the five main points of quality?
3. All countries with great lakes, or which border the sea, have their own fish stews and often many variations. How is the Turkish mussel stew, midye pilakisi, served?
4. Cash-flow is of vital importance in any business, and liquid assets form part of the equation. Does this term refer to (a) the value of the cellar stock or (b) assets that can be quickly turned into cash?
5. Blintzes are one of the mainstays of Jewish cookery, and they often form part of vegetarian meals. What is the similar French product?
6. The word zephyr is often attached to dishes such as soufflés, mousses and light, sweet and savoury mixtures. What does the word mean?
7. Taramosalata is a well-known Greek dish made using a base ingredient of smoked cod roes. Avgot raho was previously the main ingredient. What is this product?
8. The word toast may refer to a slice of grilled bread or a salutation drink. What is the connection between the two and how did it originate?
9. When the cooking of poached salmon is completed, it is best to leave it in the liquor to ensure that it stays moist. How should the fish be prepared prior to cooking?
10. B cskai rizes h£s is a colourful rice hash from the B cska area in Hungary. In many countries saffron or turmeric are used to provide colour. What is used in this dish?
11. In France today a tavern is a traditional brasserie or restaurant style of establishment. What was the restriction originally placed on French taverns?
12. Garnished sauerkraut is normally served as an entrée. What is the recognised garnish for this dish and how is it cooked?
13. Small cakes are prepared from a basic cake mixture, and there are two main ways in which the ingredients are combined. What are they and should they both end with the same consistency?
14. Pinot grapes are now grown worldwide, and are noted for their character. The black Pinot grapes, Noir and Meunier are used to produce which famous wine?
l Answers to the quiz are on page 77