Whitbread has sold American-themed restaurant and bar TGI Friday’s to a joint venture between TGI global franchise owner Carlson and private equity group ABN AMRO Capital for £74.1m.
The deal will see the newly-formed venture, called TGI Friday’s UK Limited, buy 30 of the 45 properties and take control of the UK trading name. ABN will own 60% of the new business while Carlson will own the remaining 40%.
The freeholds on the remaining 15 properties were sold and leased back from property developer British Land for £48.37m.
Whitbread chief executive Alan Parker said: “This sale marks the completion of the review of our restaurants business announced last year. We are now a leaner more focussed group.”
Paul Southwell, managing partner of ABN’s UK buyout team said: “TGI Friday’s is a well-established brand in the US and one which we feel can be further developed in the UK.”
Charlotte Maxwell, bartender, TGI Friday's, Covent Garden, London >>
London takes top spots in TGI UK Bartender of the Year competition >>
Whitbread reports a rise in sales >>
Move for Whitbread from Starwood Capital could trigger bidding war >>
By Tom Bill
E-mail your comments to Tom Bill here.