Compass Group has returned from the 23rd World Culinary Olympics with 29 awards.
The only UK contract caterer to take part in the competition, Compass had eight UK chefs participating individually, as well as in the English and Scottish national teams. They picked up nine awards between them.
Making up half of the 10-strong English National Culinary team were five Compass chefs from across the business, with executive chef Nick Vadis (pictured) acting as co-captain.
The team won silver in the hot kitchen and bronze in the cold buffet, with Compass chefs totting up a total of 10 awards between them, consisting of five silver and five bronze medals.
Five chefs from Compass in Scotland also competed in Germany as part of the Scottish National Culinary team, made up of 10 chefs in total. Graham Singer, food operations manager for ESS Offshore, captained the team. Between them these five Compass chefs collected 10 awards, including five silver and five bronze medals.
Vadis said: "This has been a momentous result for us and I'm exceptionally proud of our chefs, competing on the world-class stage both individually and on behalf of their nations."
Compass Group's individual entrant chefs won the following awards at the World Culinary Olympics 2012:
● Gemma Evans, Eurest Services - gold medal
● Richard Bowden, Eurest Services - silver medal
● Robert Kennedy, ESS - silver medal
● Jason Trotman, ESS - silver medal
● James Baker, ESS - bronze medal
● Tony Murphy, Chartwells - bronze medal
● Bernie Engelhardt, Sport, Leisure & Hospitality - diploma and bronze medal
● Shaun Reason, ESS - diploma
2. Compass chefs on the English National Culinary team won the following awards:
● Nick Vadis, executive chef for Compass Group UK & Ireland - silver and bronze medals
● Bob Brown, a regional chef for Eurest Services - silver and bronze medals
● Ben Ford, a head chef for Eurest Services - silver and bronze medals
● Andy Twells, executive chef for Compass Instore - silver and bronze medals
● Clark Crawley, a head chef with Restaurant Associates - silver and bronze medals
3. The five Compass chefs on the Scottish National Culinary team and their awards are as follows:
● Graham Singer, food operations manager, ESS - silver and bronze medals
● Bruce Lawrence, a head chef, ESS - silver and bronze medals
● Colin Johnstone, a chef manager, ESS - silver and bronze medals
● Robert Flannigan, a sous chef, ESS - silver and bronze medals
● Graham Turpin, a sous chef, ESS - silver and bronze medals
By Janie Manzoori-Stamford
E-mail your comments to Janie Manzoori-Stamford here.
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Catererandhotelkeeper.com jobs
Blogs on Catererandhotelkeeper.com
Catch up with more news and gossip on all Caterer's blogs
For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our E-newsletters